Magic enables an unprecedented number of Use Cases within the fashion retail environment, with benefits for both retailers and consumers. These fall in four groups:
- Perpetual inventory or “live” stock control, where retailers and consumers know what is in the store or backroom at all times, with 100% reliability and an update time of less than one second.
- Unique security applications, where removed items are detected immediately, allowing cross-referencing with video surveillance systems and enabling other novel security systems.
- Exciting customer applications that make use of the customers’ mobile phones through Magic-enabled apps that detect customer selections while they shop.
- Collection of statistics on individual customer selections in store and beyond, enabling an unprecedented level of personalised customer service.
- Ad-hoc information about products of interest to in-store customers in an automatic, user-friendly manner.
- Learning what customers are attracted by, or are looking for, before the store staff approach them, and helping staff to identify the best time and approach.
- Supporting the selling process, for example by suggesting similar or complementary products, potentially using customers’ online as well as in-store behaviour to inform this, and helping customers or staff to find these products both online or within the store.
- Enabling in-store one-click shopping and walking using online payment systems.
- Supporting additional App functionality, for example magic mirrors where customers use their mobile devices to see how a selected item would fit.
- Allowing customers to share their in-store finds through social media.
- Streamlining in-store staff support, for example by allowing customers to request a specific item or size whilst in the store or in the changing room.
- Enabling magic mirrors in the changing rooms which could suggest similar or complementary items based on customer behaviour online or while in the store.
- Ensuring total real-time stock control so the right product is at the right place at the right time.
- Enabling both traditional and novel security applications, for example the intelligent detection of shoplifting patterns.
- Collecting reliable and accurate statistics on customer preferences and conversion rates at many levels (shelf, designer, room, store etc.).
- Shopping experience beyond the store visit by enabling post-visit reviews, targeted advertisement and purchases through online and mobile shopping.
- Loyalty programs where customers get benefits for browsing at the store.